Stephens Lawyers & Consultants provides comprehensive media, entertainment and arts law services. Our practice extends to content creators, producers, promotors, filmmakers, animators, artists, galleries, writers, designers, musicians and companies and organisations within the sector.
The laws regulating the media, entertainment and arts sector requires a high level of expertise from a legal, technical and commercial perspective. Stephens Lawyers provides advice on:
- Corporate structures for commercial ventures and non-for profits
- Copyright, moral rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Application of media and broadcasting laws and the Competition and Consumer Act
- Content, advertising and marketing laws, codes and standards.
- Corporate governance and risk management.
Stephens Lawyers also assists with the preparation, negotiation and review of agreements covering:
- Film, television, interactive games and multi-media production and investment/finance
- Joint venture and co-production agreements
- Recording agreements
- Publishing – Music and Literature
- Licence agreements
- Website development
- Content development
- Interactive digital media and games development and distribution
- Social media, on-line broadcasting or streaming services
- Production, distribution and marketing
- Ownership of intellectual property
- Confidentiality agreements
- Consultancy and employment agreements.
The firm advises on all aspects of intellectual property rights relating to music, film, animation, interactive games and digital media, photographs, art, stock footage and archival material, and assists with the negotiation of rights clearances/licences. Stephens Lawyers also works with creators of content in the development and implementation of strategies for the protection and commercialisation of their work and intellectual property in local and international markets.