The Australian privacy and data protection laws regulate the handling, use, disclosure, storage and security of an individual’s personal, medical, financial/credit and other sensitive information by Commonwealth, State and local government and its agencies and private sector organisations. Notifiable data breaches have to be reported to the regulator, Office of the Australian Information Commission (“OAIC”). Individuals affected by privacy data breach may seek compensation from the organisation involved in the breach.
“In many cases privacy compliance need not be costly or onerous. Stephens Lawyers & Consultants recognises this and is able to offer advice on the most appropriate compliance approach for your organisation.”
Stephens Lawyers & Consultants advises on all aspects of Australian privacy and data protection and cybersecurity laws. Our services include:
- Internal reviews and/or audits of data collection and flow systems and processes for privacy compliance
- Privacy compliance assessments of new systems or projects
- Preparation of privacy and data protection policies and procedures
- Advice in respect of responding to a notifiable data breach and cybersecurity incident
- Advice in respect of risk assessment and management of data breaches and cybersecurity incidents
- Privacy and data protection compliance training and education.
Stephens Lawyer’s dispute resolution and litigation practice extends to claims for compensation involving privacy and data breaches.
Links to Publications